Friday, June 17, 2011

Environmental/Cultural Sensitivity

 I woke up early this morning to go do a shift at my old job. Temp work. I took it because it is extra cash, and it was an opportunity to be by myself, see some old friends, and chat and gossip a little bit. I must admit, I have not been hustling hard enough. I do not toot my own horn because I do not like to "boast" in front of people. I am an honest person and I do not like throwing my talents at others, let's call it, environmental or cultural sensitivity. Some people have trouble finding jobs, love, and moving into a new place, while others thrive at settling down. Me? I have learned to adjust quickly to new settings because I learned, while staying with my grandmother two years ago, that things will happen in life that I have no control over, so I have to adjust and deal. Some people do not know how to deal, but as you get older, you really do not have much of a choice.

Back to my point because I tend to get a bit offtrack, I feel people in certain situations feel that they can say whatever they want because of "privilege".  First off, the only privilege you have is to the one you are married to, not every other person in that specific race, or any other minority. (Trying not to rant) Where ever you are,  if you do not respect those around you, problems may arise. You may not mean to harm anyone, but trust me, sometimes even one word can provoke someone to do something.
Every culture is different, there are some things you can say, and some things you need to watch what you say, because even if the person you insult on purpose or by accident/for fun, others around you may take it the wrong way.
So hopefully this made sense but I felt a need to share. I know how I am around people but I have never been one to really step up and defend, but over the years I discovered how some people just talk because they want to "connect" or "relate" or "understand" you can do that but make sure you word it right, and are in the right place. Remember, not everyone thinks the way you do. Some take things nicely, other's not so nice.

I plan to follow up on this, but I would love some feedback, I think it is very important to know, there is still a lot of cultural sensitivity in this world so I ask, before you say something, please, think before you speak.
I hope I did not rant, I try to stay on track...But blogs are meant to share emotions, so if it happens it happens.

Signed:
GyftedArtyst

1 comment:

KANA said...

great piece! it's amazing how we can offend people with some comments (benign in our view) we make at inappropriate times. at the end of the day, i believe we should acknowledge our folly when pointed out to us; yes some won't forgive us but we will be safe in the knowledge that we offered our apologies. keep the thoughts flowing Gyfted!