Sunday, June 19, 2011

Are You An Honest Actor?

So...

I just finished watched Just Wright with one of my fav poets and musical artists Common, and Queen Latifah whom I respect as an artist...BUT...The acting was not very well done and the fact that the Queen has not openly admitted to being a Lesbian, which we know she is...She played the love interest to Common, but I was unable to enjoy the movie because of what she is now. The movie is old, but some movies are not always findable on the internet and I just got Netflix so I can watch anything I want. I am a lover not a hater...But it really had me wondering how a lesbian can play a man's love interest...

Back to the blog...

I know acting is acting, but you have to convince the audience you can act. If you are not the best actor, you have just wasted millions making a movie. Why? I am not sure, it may have done well because of who was in it, but sometimes the person's name is not enough. I have seen the Queen in a lot of movies, and Common very few, but I know he is an incredible musical artist, as well as poet. But being an actor is an art just like writing, painting, or even dressing someone up because it takes time to really understand the craft, and the history, and etc. NOT everyone OR anyone can do it. You must train yourself, be coached, talk to people, and get feedback on how you are doing, but make sure to ask people that won't be biased, truth hurts but we need it to excel.

I feel as an artyst (I spell it with a y) still in the making, that I am not as far as I want to be, but I am putting my self out there. I am getting word out, I talk to people, I ask for feedback but positive or at least constructive so that if I need to improve, I know what to work on. I do not like it when people lie and say I was good, but that is also a confidence issue. I know I am great now, but it takes times (lol)

Soo...I am confused.

Can anyone just be an actor? Denzel Washington, and Julia Roberts, they both went to school to learn about acting and how to perfect the craft while some people just auditioned for roles they weren't sure they would get, and also needed bills to be paid. So they should get the role and suddenly go from making below min wage to being the star of a major motion picture? I mean, yeah luck is luck, but if you cannot sell a movie to me, more like a preview, chances are I will not go see the movie. I saw Common and Queen Latifah and thought it would be a great movie, but it took a while to see so after what you hear, and learn about people, things change. Maybe I am a harsh critic, but I do my best to be honest. After all why should we lie to one another? Who benefits from it?

Can you be an honest actor? Are you worth my money?

Signed:
GyftedArtyst

No comments: