Wednesday, July 27, 2011

"We Fall Down" But We Get Back Up (Donnie McClurkin Song Title)

I decided to attend Poetry Night. I haven't gone in maybe four months because things were becoming too different, and I didn't fit it. When Speak was at Gingers, I felt like I was a part of a family. I remember my first night on stage. I was sooo nervous, but they took me in. The diversity, the culture, the way they hugged me and smiled at me, yes, it made me feel like I mattered, and that I was important. We all want to feel like we mean something to someone, or that we matter to a project, or a company. I've worked in companies where I was treated very badly. My lack of education and "no sense of direction" told my boss that I wasn't good enough. But I wasn't strong enough to stand up for my self. There are days when I am still too weak to defend my self, but I know now that I am my worst enemy, and I am not letting mys elf be scared anymore. Even though Speak has a different crowd, and some of the diversity is gone, it does not mean that it should stay that way. We can change things and make them ten times better. With work, and a strong team of dedicated passionate poets, anything is possible.
A friend of mine has been pushing me for so long to do what I love, but fear has held me back for years. I fear not being good enough, and no being liked, I fear not being seen for my style of writing. I don't write my poems like this, if you've read my work, you would know. Some maybe, but not all.
But this one person, every time I talk to them, I am encouraged to write again, but once I begin, the inner thoughts tell me I am not good enough, when I know for a fact, I am amazing. People have todl me, and I know that I have what it takes.

So I encourage you to show some love and support for a fellow writer/poet and the Company House tomorrow night on Gottingen Street, with all the strength I have, I am getting up on stage. Just pray I do not get nervous, it's been a while!
Time: 8:30-11:30
Bring 5 bucks
And an open mind

Signed:
GyftedArtyst

No comments: